It happens every year. Just as the weather is comfortable enough that we can spend more time outside, it’s time for the mosquitoes to start hatching. This means we either spend our outside time covered in smelly bug spray or else deal with itchy red bites all over.
Many people have turned to professional pest control providers for their mosquito extermination needs, which may leave some people wondering: just why is mosquito extermination so important?
Mosquito Extermination: For Your Health
While most species of mosquitoes in America are considered “nuisance” mosquitoes (they just leave you with those familiar itchy bites), there are about 12 species that can spread some pretty nasty diseases, including viruses like West Nile virus and dengue, or parasites like malaria. From the CDC:
Of the over 200 types of mosquitoes in the United States and US territories, about 12 types spread germs…When infected adult mosquitoes are spreading germs to people, acting quickly can stop the further spread and prevent people from getting sick.
So is there a high chance that those mosquitoes buzzing around your backyard are carrying deadly diseases? Not really. But it’s not a zero chance, either, and that’s not a roulette wheel you want to spin.
How Do I Exterminate Mosquitoes?
Mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water, so you can help reduce the areas where they can lay eggs in these ways:
- Get rid of standing water in rain gutters, old tires, buckets, plastic covers, toys, or any other container where mosquitoes can breed.
- Empty and change the water in bird baths, fountains, wading pools, rain barrels, and potted plant trays at least once a week to eliminate potential mosquito habitats.
- Drain temporary pools of water or fill them with dirt.
- Keep swimming pool water treated and circulating.
Adult mosquitoes, meanwhile, like to hide in dark, humid areas, and need to be exterminated with targeted mosquito treatments, which must be applied in very specific ways.
How to Find a Mosquito Extermination Pro
If you’re struggling with mosquito issues, it may be worth it to call in a professional to help. Regular treatments throughout the mosquito season (typically April-October) can help keep your outdoor areas mosquito-free.
If you’re looking for a professional mosquito extermination service, here are some tips from the National Pest Management Association:
- Look for qualified and licensed pest control professionals and companies that are members of national, state, or local pest management associations.
- Ask to see proper licensing and credentials from the pest management professional that comes to solve your pest problem.
- If a guarantee is given, know what it covers, how long it lasts, what you must do to keep it in force, and what kind of continuing professional pest control, prevention, and management are necessary.
- Buy value, not price. Do not make a purchasing decision based solely on the lowest cost.
Tell Mosquitoes to Buzz Off
Mosquitoes can be a major nuisance during the warmer months, but don’t worry. At Pest Guard, we use effective pet- and family-friendly treatments that can keep mosquitoes out of your hair and keep your yard a fun and less itchy place to be.
 CDC – Why Is Mosquito Control Important?
 EPA – Success in Mosquito Control: An Integrated Approach
 National Pest Management Association – Tips on Finding a Pest Management Professional